Official website of the Tashkent City Administration
Font size:
Color scheme:
Images:
Building of the Irrigation Institute
Building of the Irrigation Institute

In 1934, the Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Agricultural Mechanization Engineers was established based on two faculties of Turkestan University and was housed in a specially constructed building on Niyazbek Street. The three-story building with constructivist elements is recognizable by its rounded corner.

In front of this rounded corner, there used to be a small park: at one time, it featured a statue of Stalin; in the 1980s, a bust of war hero Viktor Malyasov, who studied at this institute. In the 2000s, a small beverage shop was located there.

For a long time, the building remained unplastered, made of dark, time-sooted brick. During the years of independence, it was plastered and given a modern porch, which led to the loss of its original appearance.

In the 1960s, new educational blocks were added along Niyazbek Street, and in the 1970s, along Kary Niyazov Street. The historic building remained between them as a reminder of the institute’s early years and the romantic era of constructivism.

Also interesting places
“Samarkand” Teahouse
“Samarkand” Teahouse

The “Samarkand” teahouse was built in 1975 on Samarkand-Darvaza Street.Architect: S. Sutyagin; engi...

The Nine-Story Building on Sapyornaya Square
The Nine-Story Building on Sapyornaya Square

This was the first (or one of the very first) nine-story building in Tashkent. At the time, it caus...

“Blue Domes” Café
“Blue Domes” Café

The café, opened in 1970, was built according to the design of architect Vili Islamovich Muratov, e...

✈️ Tashkent Airport
✈️ Tashkent Airport

The first regular passenger flight from Tashkent to Almaty opened in May 1924. In the 1930s, the f...