
The National Research University “Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Agricultural Mechanization Engineers” (formerly TIIAME) was established in 1934 when the hydraulic engineering faculty separated from Turkestan University. At that time it was housed in a building with a rounded corner at the intersection of Niyazbek and Kary-Niyazov streets.
In the 1960s the institute received new buildings
along Niyazbek (Uritsky) Street.
In the 1970s new structures appeared along
Kary-Niyazov Street towards Akkurgan (Novomoskovskaya) Street. It is precisely
these newer buildings that are of interest from the perspective of Soviet
modernism.
Architects M. Fyodorova and Ye. Sepetiy, together with
engineers V. Yegorov and A. Minaeva, constructed two symmetrically placed
lecture-hall blocks containing the rectorate and library, positioned
symmetrically around the assembly hall. A shady small park (skverik) was
created between the blocks in front of the assembly hall.
The façade of the assembly hall with its vertical
sun-shading panels has become a new visual symbol of the institute and
frequently appears on postcards and photo albums about Tashkent.

In the north-west of the city lies Tashkent’s largest architectural complex — the university campu...

The former Central Committee of the Communist Party of Uzbekistan building was constructed in 1964....

The Alisher Navoi Cinema Palace, better known to Tashkent residents as “Panoramic,” is one of the ...

The beautiful and distinctive theater building at the intersection of Zarkaynar and Gulbazar street...